Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fun February Finds

We've had a couple of nice weekends this month, perfect for junqueing.  The DH and I went to Shawnee one Saturday and, as always, found lots of great things including vintage cards and Valentines, crepe paper, buttons, a locket, and a funky pink corset.  I also couldn't resist the little red and white striped Barbie dress.

The Evening Amusements book has a lot of unique illustrations that will be perfect for mixed media projects, and the cover is really beautiful. I bought the corset "just in case." At Silver Bella there was a blingy bra swap and several people decorated old corsets rather than bras. I suppose if there's another such swap some day, I'll be ready!
The DH scored these old cans to "decorate" his garage. You'll notice the blue one in my pic above as I promptly appropriated it for my own collection.
Last Saturday we stopped by the Leake Car Auction just to see what was on offer.  It was my first time at a car auction and I enjoyed it.  There were several hot rods being sold so the DH was excited about that, but he would have enjoyed it a lot more had he been buying - maybe next time!  Afterward I convinced him to stop by one of my favorite shops where I found some 1938 and 1939 magazines. He's building a 1939 Chevy street rod so I thought I might be able to find an ad for his car.  The only one was for a 4-door rather than a 2-door, but I'll probably frame it for his garage anyway.  I also found a Valentine apron that still has the original price tag sewn into a seam, a pink tablecloth with the sweetest trim and a yearbook with a beautiful embossed cover that will be perfect for a travel journal.

Last Sunday I met two friends for lunch and a fun time exploring all the great things at The Rink.  We all found treasures and got some great crafting ideas.  We sat for a bit after checking out to listen to the live music and to talk a little more - can never get enough of that!  I brought home a navy velvet hat with beautiful pearls, beads and mother of pearl flowers and leaves sewn on a ribbon around the brim (can't see it in the photo, darn it), two huge cards of trim for an amazing price, and my usual buttons, photos and linens. 

And another creamware bowl that I so didn't need, more trim and a Coats and Clark sewing kit with tiny spools of thread and scissors.  The little satin fruit has beautiful velvet leaves that I'll probably remove and use on other things.  The aqua lace near the front is really pretty and I may use it for my first cuff bracelet.

All in all, February was a great month!

No comments:

Post a Comment