Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Fun News - The Art of Craft at French General

I was reading blogs the other evening when I came across a post from Wanda about The Art of Craft Event at French General.  I read about the event and knew immediately that I wanted to go.  It was late at night - too late to check with my creative buddies to see if anyone else would go along.  If you know me, you know that I don't really like going new places on my own, and that normally I would NEVER commit to something like this without that safety net.  But this was BIG!  And I did meet Wanda in a class at Silver Bella, and we've been in a few swaps together and exchanged a few e-mails since, so I would know someone once I arrived.  With a little encouragement from my very supportive hubby (thank you, sweetie!) I hit the button and signed up!

I'm very happy to say that my friend Chris signed up the following day (we're going to have so much fun!), and I'll get to meet my permanent swap pal Terry there, plus I'll get to see Wanda again!  I was doing a little happy dance, I assure you.

I was fortunate enough to have two classes with Kaari Meng at Silver Bella last year, and have always been a big fan of everything French General.  I have four of Kaari's books, and I drool over every piece of fabric, button, bead and bit of bling she finds.  I'm sure I'll need an extra suitcase to carry home everything I buy there.  Kaari will be teaching a button bracelet class, similar to this.
photo from French General
Pam Garrison and Charlotte Lyons will be teaching a sailor's valentine workshop.  Charlotte taught at Silver Bella 2010, but I didn't have enough time slots available to take her classes.  I'm so happy to have the opportunity now. She and Pam are both amazing.  Here are sample photos for their class.
photos from French General
My first memories of mixed media artwork were from Anna Corba.  I was fascinated with the things she made, and wanted so badly to have that creativity she posseses.  Seeing her name on the schedule is probably what put me over the edge from wanting to attend this event to actually feeling a need to attend. I can't wait to learn from her, and the fact that classes are limited to 30 people means it will be easier to take in everything she has to share. She'll be teaching a beeswax journal.
photo from French General
I'm also excited to learn bookbinding methods from Molly Meng who will teach a 12-month memory book class,
photo from French General
and Michelle Jorgensen will show us how to create this beautiful Valentine box.
photo from French General
As if that wasn't enough - or more than enough - there will be a reception with Jo Packham of Where Women Create! It's going to be such a wonderful event!

I love every project, and another big bonus is that all supplies are provided so we won't have to carry as much with us as we do to some workshops.  Of course, we'll still take our most special bits and pieces to incorporate. 

I'm sure I'll be sharing more before we go at the end of January. If anyone reading this is going to the Art of Craft workshop, please let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you signed up...I'm trying to persuade my sister to sign up. Anna is really nice..I took one of her classes at SB two years ago. Charlotte is awesome (I am biased). All the classes look like fun...we are going to have the best time. I'm glad your friend signed up as well....I know I'm just not enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna go, does that count? Nah, I didn't think so! It sounds amazing, and I would love to be able to take another class from Charlotee! 'Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I could go! You will *love* Charlotte!
    I hope you post every single detail of your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete